Although New Jersey catches a lot of flak for its lack of contribution to the nation and is often referred to as America’s armpit, we believe that the state is often unfairly underestimated.
To be honest, there isn’t a dearth of strange facts about New Jersey. Although the facts may not tempt you to move there, they are, at the very minimum, strange and interesting!
Without beating about the bush any further, here are some very strange facts you should know about New Jersey.
- Contrary to popular opinion, the stars of the reality show, Jersey Shore, aren’t the only celebrity natives of New Jersey. Were you aware of the fact that icons such as Jack Nicholson, Whitney Houston, Bruce Springsteen, and Frank Sinatra etc., were born in New Jersey?
- Although you may be of the opinion that New Jersey is not the ideal place to move to, you’d be surprised to know that there are many others that don’t agree with you. In fact, more than 9 million people call New Jersey their home. The state boasts of the highest percentage of population density in America! New Jersey is one of the most expensive states in the States to live in, with the average rent being around $1,800 a month. In addition to that, the state also has the most expensive auto insurance.
- However, New Jersey is not exactly the safest state for cars as it is one of the top states for car theft. Some of the models that are commonly stolen include Honda Civics and Accord, Nissan Altimas, and Toyota Camry.
- Here’s another strange fact for you! New Jersey is one of two states where motorists aren’t permitted to pump their own gas. The regulation was first decided by the New Jersey state legislature back in 1949; the responsible authorities decided that only gasoline station operators were skilled enough to pump gas in compliance with proper safety procedures.
- Have a look at your bottled water. Do you see an expiration date? Well, you have New Jersey to thank for the information. Back in 1987, a law in New Jersey required all the food products to display an expiration date. It became rather inconvenient for bottled water manufacturers to only manufacture expiration-dated water for New Jersey. Hence, they resorted to producing expiration-dated water for the entire nation.
- Were you aware of the fact that the first college football game was held in New Jersey? Rutgers and Princeton participated in the first college football game in New Jersey in 1869. Rutgers claimed victory that day, defeating Princeton 6-4. A second match was played later in the year, with Princeton winning 8-0. A third match was scheduled but, ¨officials at both schools were worried about the rising fervor over sports eclipsing academic.¨ Hence, it was canceled.
There you have it, some strange facts about the wonderful state of New Jersey. If you’re looking for a guard service in NJ, look no further than https://www.buildingsecurity.com/ for security personnel or security systems.